If You Can't Laugh At Yourself...


Ever get one of those crazy whims and follow it? I did and GAWD, THESE THINGS ARE AWFUL!



Papier Mache Bowls - Strip Method



Papier Mache Bowls - Pulp Method



A few weeks ago, I looked at the growing pile of Sunday New York Times and just couldn't bring myself to throw them out. When I get the paper, I scan them and cut out found poems and then I'm left with the rest of the paper -- what to do? I made an unholy mess is what I did. *snort*

The first picture shown was my initial attempt at papier mache bowls several months ago. I used the paper strip method from non-newsprint sources and when I finished, meh. I was pretty disappointed in my fledgling efforts and put the papier mache idea to bed...until that blasted stack of NY Times.

The second picture shows what is currently drying on my kitchen table. Sad, isn't it?! They look like something that was dropped out of an airplane lavatory from a great height. I sure hope they look better when they are painted because right now, oy vey.

I also have some papier mache beads drying and will photo them (if they aren't too heinous) when I post the final painted bowls. God help me.

I have been laughing my butt off all day whenever I walk past them. It's good to laugh, even if it's at myself.


UPDATE (Mar. 9): What a difference a couple of days makes...they look waaaaaay better right side up. Once they dry and I paint & varnish them, I'll repost them. I'm relieved.



Comments

  1. Hi Nicole,
    I think you are being too hard on yourself. I actually envision these little bowls all strung together in some way...

    Installation????

    Your blog and art are wonderful. Glad I stopped over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too hard? Did you see those things? LOL

    Actually, since they are now right side up and are getting painted and varnished, they aren't so tragic. :-)

    Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

A New Acquisition - Artists buying Art

Gelatin Monotype Trade

36 Droplets